Featured article written by Julian Grindey
“A new report by Alvarez & Marsal estimates that 17.2 million British consumers – about 25 per cent of the country’s total population – plan to make permanent changes to the way they shop- redirecting spend into online channels” (source Retail Gazette July 2020).
Retailers without a transactional website face an imminent threat. Or worse still, for those who believe their proposition is somehow differentiated by cost or focus should question whether that will provide them with transformation “immunity”. In reality, all retailers, need to ‘dust-off’ their strategic plans. Probably re-write them and then ‘TRANSFORM’.
Much has been spoken on the ‘3D’ (three dimensions) of a transformation, so I have only listed them here and go on to focus on leadership style that I have worked at and learned from in the hope it may help your transformation;
3D to transformational change:
1. Your people- The; structure, culture, values, skills
2. Your processes- Re-designing them to fit the transformed state that will deliver outcomes purposed for your vision
3. Your Systems- To help you embed and control the processes, moving from Transformation to ‘Continuous improvement’
The lessons I learned leading a transformation are summarised through five leadership behaviours;
1. Engage- From the beginning and always. If change is to happen then it has to be owned by a team and not an individual
2. Inspire- A passion and conviction for change needs to radiate from the Change Owner
3. Collaborate- Bring your stakeholders in close; share the problem and encourage input
4. Empower- Trust your team. If you have Engaged and Inspired then the team will start to build up a ‘momentum for change’
5. Mentor- Your time spent with your direct reports to coach and support them will cascade throughout your change
6. Focus on this approach helped me, and I hope it may help others
Julian Grindey is an energising and inspirational MD/COO/Trading Director, skilled in leading profitable change and transformation, inspiring strategic vision and commercial delivery and in driving retail and digital growth.