If you’re an outstanding design leader with vivid imagination and creative flair, we want to hear from you! Denholm are delighted to be working on a rare and exciting opportunity with our client, an award-winning events/design agency, who lead in creating inspiring, involving and informative environments for exhibitions within museums, brand homes, science centres and heritage attractions.
In this multi-layered Head of Design role you’ll take the studio team and project from concept creation to evolution to onsite completion, captaining the creative output through each stage of the design and delivery process. You will be a natural leader, encouraging each member of the studio team to maintain ownership of their ideas and guide them as they take their designs all the way through to the conclusion of the project, exhibition or event.
What you’ll be doing
Working with passionate multi-disciplinary designers, content developers, interpretive strategists, researchers, master planners and project managers, this role involves telling imaginative and emotive stories that define the team’s approach, making every visitor experience special in each unique narrative environment. Your main responsibilities will include:
- Using your creative expertise and experience play a central role in tendering for new business.
- Work with, and inspire the studio team to create outstanding 3D and exhibition components.
- Work with the project management team to assess viability of design proposals in regards both project programme and budget.
- Co-ordinate with wider project contributors, for example architects, AV hardware, multimedia, lighting, writers and illustrators.
- Help the design team produce comprehensive CAD drawings, compile project samples, manage schedules and specify products, materials and finishes.
- Attend site meetings and make client presentations.
- Play a proactive role as part of the management board, developing a vision and strategies to maintain and improve the design output and general success and wellbeing of the company.
- Help raise standards, building a culture of creativity, energy and enjoyment within the design studio.
Who we’re looking for:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in exhibition design, product design, interior design, interior architecture, architecture or a related subject.
- At least 8 years relevant design experience in museums, brand homes and/or heritage destinations, or a similar design discipline.
- Proven track record as a design leader.
- Exemplary analytical abilities to examine, explore and answer project briefs.
- Ability to develop innovative ideas and communicate designs effectively to team members, clients, and wider project contributors.
- Have excellent presentation and communication skills (written and spoken) for project pitches, client meetings and contractor briefings.
- Have a good working knowledge of Vectorworks (or equivalent); SketchUp Pro (or equivalent); Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Teams. Apple Mac experience is desirable.
- Able and willing to work flexibly in support of the company and be comfortable with routinely shifting priorities.
- A good knowledge of relevant working practices, guidelines and regulations (including CDM 2015), industry technologies, sustainability, finishes and materials would be useful.
- Be up to date with trends, be constantly inquisitive and continually proactive.
- Eagerness to be present in the Edinburgh studio.
On top of the opportunity itself, you’ll be joining an incredibly exciting business who are the best in their field, and reward your hard work with a great package and lifestyle benefits.
If that sounds like your perfect next move, apply today!