Denholm Associates has some amazing clients and this is yet another… We are working on this key hire for one of our FMCG drinks clients, alongside other roles. The company is looking for a Credit Controller to join the team, based in Glasgow City Centre. The company is the UK’s number one whisky supplier. As part of the global group, the company is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of global brands such as The Macallan, Highland Park and The Famous Grouse in the UK marketplace. With offices in Glasgow and London, the customers range from retail and ecommerce to wholesale and the on-trade. If Corporate Social Responsibility is important to you, you should be aware that the principal shareholder is The Robertson Trust, which has donated £301 million to charitable causes in Scotland since 1961. As a result of this involvement and commitment, the business is underpinned by the values of giving, respect, integrity and excellence.
The Credit Controller role sits within the Supply Chain and Finance team, with key aims of delivering excellent execution to the point of purchase and putting the customer first. This role will work with the credit management team and will learn to proactively optimise collections performance for the business, through timely and accurate processing of relevant allocations. This role involves monitoring credit limits as they are approached or exceeded, handling queries on invoices and statements, assisting with the credit note process and query resolution, maintenance of customer master data, including credit limits and direct debit management. This role requires you to build strong relationships across the wider business – internally with Supply Chain and Finance, Business Planning and Sales colleagues, and externally with customers and service providers such as the credit insurance company.
The candidate for this role will be an enthusiastic, organised and adaptable team-player, with great communication skills, which will be used in order to work in a fast-paced, delivery-focused environment. There are currently 5 team members- The Credit Manager, 1 Senior Credit Controller plus 3 Credit Controllers. In addition to supporting the team, you will be required to work closely with a virtual team of sales and finance team members to achieve the company’s financial targets of debt and cashflow.
- Knowing your Customer: Understand key customers and customers with high risk profiles across the businesses. Monitor customers trading pattern quarterly to ensure that they operate within the trading limits as defined by the business. Analyse payment patterns for your accounts, to identify potential issues and proactively resolve issues on a case-by-case basis.
- Prioritising your workload: Prioritise monthly workload by pro-actively actioning the oldest and highest value debt first along with high-risk exposure accounts. Overdue debt should be targeted, and calls made to all customers within 5 days of becoming overdue. Accurately record all calls and actions on SAP and in customer folders for discussion with Snr Credit Controller at monthly debt meetings.
- Reconciliation of outstanding items: Maintain a close control over the outstanding items on the accounts you manage. Prioritise based on value, age, volume, and business impact. Aim to have no items more than 3 months old at the end of every month. Keep a record of activities and actions through daily SAP text updates and maintaining online customer folders.
- Review Suspended Order Report: Review and manage customer suspended orders transactions throughout the day following the agreed processes of applying trading limit and authorisation rules and customer knowledge to minimise risk exposure and meet the agreed processing deadline each day and communicating all orders not released by 1330hrs each day.
- Manage Overdue Debt Outstanding targets: ensure you are fully aware of the debt targets and are actively striving to hit these, key operational areas here are achieving the call cycle targets for pre and post due date accounts, handling the complex issues of customer deductions management and ensuring account manager meetings are taking place at least quarterly with minuted actions being shared.
- Cashflow reporting and financing: Ensure the accurate and on time delivery of our weekly and monthly cash flow and invoice discounting reporting which will ensure that business maximises its banking facilities at all times. Work with the Senior Credit Controller to identify any challenges in cash flow forecasting accuracy, understanding where discrepancies between forecast and actual have arisen and steps taken to make improvements. * Focus on accuracy and attention to detail by ensuring compliance within the parameters of the Operating Principles Document & Credit Management policy and processes.
- Audit: Play an active role in the audit requirements and co-ordination of sample reports for Credit Management team ensuring documentation is produced on time.
- Deliver Exceptional Service to Internal & External Customers: Leading by example, ensure you take full ownership of your areas of responsibility, focusing on pace and urgency, accuracy, attention to detail and timely resolution of queries and deductions. Ensure that work is prioritised effectively within the team to ensure specified deadlines are achieved and our customer experience enhanced.
By using your ability to build strong working relationships, taking ownership of your training and development, always forward-thinking and self-managing, you will use your previous credit control experience, numerical skills and resilience, to add value.
Please get in touch to hear more about this next step in your career, as well as the benefits involved in working for a remarkable company.