The Royal Company of Merchants of the City of Edinburgh (The Merchant Company) is a charitable organisation for business and professional people which has been enriching the life of Scotland’s capital for more than 340 years. Over the years, it has evolved into a membership organisation with a wide range of activities.
The Company and its institutions as a group form one of Scotland’s largest charitable organisations, and delivers charitable benefits through education, enterprise, and in helping the elderly, young and frail. It is also an active membership organisation, which provides social and personal development opportunities through a variety of initiatives and events. The Company plays a central role in the civic life of Edinburgh and is Scotlands’s pre-eminent livery company.
Following the development of the new Strategic Plan, we have created a new role, Membership, Events & Communications Manager, to guide us through an exciting phase of modernization. This is a unique role that doesn’t come around often.
We are a small team, but very much live by a “one team” ethos as we support each other to achieve our goals. If you are an experienced Membership, Events & Communications professional and excited by the opportunity to implement your ideas, this could be for you.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Engaging with members and growing the membership
- Planning and delivering exciting new events alongside the more traditional events of the Company including the bi-annual Kirking Ceremony which is an important civic event
- Creating a new communications strategy to focus on the social impact the Company has in the community
- Taking the lead on the development of a social media strategy
- Developing the external events offering
- Taking ownership of the website and leading on a new CRM project
- Guiding the development of the Company’s external events in collaboration with other team members
- Line management responsibilities in the future
This role is well-suited to someone with extensive management experience across Membership, Events and Communications activities. If you’ve worked within a membership organisation that would be a bonus but is by no means essential. This is very much on the individual – we’re keen to speak to someone who is keen to take ownership and help them through this exciting period.
You will be predominantly office-based from our lovely location on Hanover Street with some out of hours working at events – however, there is a degree of flexibility here in terms of home working and time off in lieu.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to join The Merchant Company on the next stage of their journey, get in touch now with Scott @ Denholm.