The Weir Group Digital team develops core platforms and services leveraged across Weir in customer and internal facing applications. The Data & Analytics team within Group Digital is primarily focused on developing a new data platform and supporting the needs of downstream analytics, reporting and applications. Weir’s Digital Transformation agenda is driving significant new demand for data and analytics and our roadmap is shaped by our divisional stakeholders and strategic initiatives.
Working with our globally distributed team of Data and Software Engineers, Architects and UX developers, you will be a key contributor to building the data platform to initially meet the needs of our customer facing web and mobile applications.
This is a hands-on technical role working predominantly with the Microsoft Azure cloud platform, leveraging technologies such as Azure Synapse, Azure Data Factory, Azure SQL, Azure Cosmos Db and Azure Data Lake Store.
The role is within a globally distributed team and the ideal candidate will be highly collaborative, a self-starter and passionate about delivering quality solutions. We are all committed to working together and collaborating with our Global Weir family. The management of our own work load and time management is essential and we work flexibly to meet our individual and team needs. We trust that working together and supporting each other we are able to undertake the best work of our lives.
As a Data Engineer you will:
- Collaborate cross-functionally with architects, data engineers, data scientists and other engineers to deliver solutions using a wide range of Azure cloud technologies
- Work with product management and business users to understand requirements and priorities
- Design, implement and support stream and batch data processing pipelines
- Develop securely partitioned structured and unstructured data stores
- Prepare data for predictive and prescriptive modelling
- Prepare data for consumption by web and mobile applications
- Document solutions
- Help maintain our catalogue of guidelines on Data Engineering best practice
- Act as a key consultant to internal and external teams for data related projects
- 5+ years data engineering, ETL, database development or software development with strong focus on data intensive applications
- 2+ years data engineering/software development in Azure
- Comfortable manipulating and analysing complex structured and unstructured, data from various sources
- Experience building and optimising data pipelines, architectures and data sets
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable data stores
- Strong coding skills (C# .NET is preferred)
- Experience working with Git as source control and understanding the concepts around pull requests, branches, repositories
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Deployment using Azure DevOps or GitHub Actions
- Working in an Agile (Scrum) Environment
Nice to have:
- Experience in working with customer facing web or mobile application development and digital experience platforms
- Understanding of NoSQL data modelling and optimization.
- Working knowledge of REST API/ Web API design and development.
- Working knowledge of Power BI.
- Familiarity with Big Data concepts and Data Lake development.
- Microsoft/Azure Certification.